Antiquarian Dealers & Book Searching Utilities
Neuroscience History Resources
[Search utilities] | [Dealers] | [Gateways]
This is a nonevaluative list of antiquarian book, manuscript, and instrument dealers and related resources, compiled from World Wide Web sites, listserv postings, e-mail messages and printed directories, for the convenience of historians of neuroscience. The list is not necessarily comprehensive, nor does it imply the endorsement of the quality of products or services of any of the dealers or sites mentioned in this list. Corrections and additional entries are welcomed.
Antiquarian & Out-of-Print Book Search Utilities
- ABAA booknet
- Purpose/Audience/Service: "...the Antiquarian Booksellers' Association of America (ABAA) World Wide Web Server. ABAA-booknet specializes in rare and antiquarian books, maps, and prints. . . .ABAA is a member of the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers."
- Advanced Book Exchange, Inc.
- Purpose/Audience/Service: "...the INTERNET's most popular service for buying and selling out-of-print, used, rare and antiquarian books."
- Purpose/Audience/Service: "Rare & Collectible Books &c. from Leading International Antiquarian Booksellers." Includes a list (with links) of Forthcoming Auctions.
- Purpose/Audience/Service: "Seven million old, used and rare books offered here for sale by three thousand booksellers around the world make this the largest and possibly the most interesting bookselling site on the Web."
- Purpose/Audience/Service: "...operates by working with a number of book dealers and vendor networks to bring you a unified
interface to the best collection of books available online." Includes: The Advanced Book Exchange (ABE), Amazon.com, AntiqBook, Bibliocity, Interloc, Powell's Bookstore, and YourBooks.com.
- Purpose/Audience/Service: "...the world-wide gateway to rare, antiquarian books. We provide access, home pages, catalogs, and other on-line book resources for members of the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers." Includes links to web sites for ILAB member organizations in [Australia and New Zealand] | [Belgium] | [Canada] | [Denmark] | [France] | [Germany] | [Great Britain] | [Italy] | [Sweden] | [Switzerland] | [United States]
- BookSearch Online
- Purpose/Audience/Service: "The nation's premier rare and out-of-print search specialist since 1984." Read their Frequently Asked Questions for explanation of possible charges.
- Zentrales Verzeichnis antiquarischer Bücher
- Purpose/Audience/Service: "Hier finden Sie: antiquarische Bücher, Autographen, Graphiken, Noten & Schallplatten."
- Internet Directory of ABAA Booksellers [USA]
- Gateway to member booksellers of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America; arranged by region of the United States, then alphabetically
- Antiquarian Scientist [Acton, Massachusetts, USA]
- "Dealers in rare books in science, medicine, and technology and antique scientific instruments since 1976"
- Antiquariat Scientia Curiosa [Luzern, Switzerland]
- "Science, Natural History; Art and Architecture; Incunabula of Photography and Pre-history Cinema; Helvetica and Fine Illustrated Books. In addition we have a very large selection of 15th - 19th century graphic and maps."
- Brainbooks [Gainesville, Florida, USA]
- "An Online Bookstore Specializing in Neurology, Neuroscience, & Psychology Books. . . .New - Used - Antiquarian"
- Webb Dordick [Somerville, Massachusetts, USA]
- Elgen Books [Rockville Centre, USA]
- "Medicine, Dentistry, Science, Mathematics, Technology"
- W. Bruce Fye Antiquarian Medical Books [Marshfield, Wisconsin, USA]
- "Old, rare, and out-of-print medical books (1600 - 1960); Surgery and surgical specialties; Medicine and medical specialties; History of medicine and the life sciences; Medical bibliography; Medical biography; Engraved medical portraits (18th - 19th century); Medallic art depicting physicians; William Osler and his circle"
- John Gach Books [Randallstown, Maryland, USA]
- "Neuroscience, Philosophy, Psychiatry, Psychoanalysis, Psychology, Social Thought"
- Hughes de Latude [Gardouch, France]
- "Located in south of France, near Toulouse, we are specialised in sciences, medicine, natural history, travels and early printed books."
- Jeremy Norman & Co., Inc. [San Francisco, California, USA]
- "Books, Manuscripts & Prints from the 15th through the 20th centuries in the History of Science & Medicine, Technology, Natural History, Economics"
- Patrick Pollak [South Brent, Devon, UK]
- "Antiquarian and Rare Books, Manuscripts, Images and Related Items"
- Plurabell Books [Cambridge, UK]
- "History of Science"
- B & L Rootenberg Rare Books [Sherman Oaks, California, USA]
- "Rare Books & Manuscripts in Science, Medicine, Technology, Natural History, Early Illustrated Books; Instruments & Appraisals"
- Scholarly Books [Brooklyn, New York, USA]
- "Scholarly Books specializes in recently out-of-print, second hand and antiquarian books in all areas of psychology and in related subjects such as philosophy, neurology and psychiatry. Established in 1973, Scholarly Books offers an extensive selection of 19th and 20th century titles in psychology and philosophy as well as biographies and secondary histories of psychology and philosophy."
- Scientia Books [Arlington, Massachusetts, USA]
- "Medicine, Science, History of Medicine, History of Science, Evolution."
Gateways to Rare Books/Manuscripts/Instruments Resources on the Internet
- Book Information Website
- "This website is devoted to all aspects of books, bookarts, bookhistory, letterpress printing, fine printing, bookschools, book- and paper-restoration and conservation, paper and papermaking, bookartists, bookbinding and bookbinders, antiquarian books, booksearch services, bookauctions, individual bookdealers, manuscripts, pop-up books, history of printing. A site with little multimedia gimmicks but specialized in offering information about the history and art of printed communication."
- Rare Books and Manuscripts Section (RBMS), Association of College and Research Libraries
- "The Rare Books and Manuscripts Section (RBMS) of the Association of College
and Research Libraries (ACRL) exercises leadership in the local, nation, and
international special collections communities in an effort to represent and promote the
interests of l ibrarians, curators, and other specialists concerned with the acquisition,
organization, security, preservation, administration, and use of special collections,
including rare printed books, manuscripts, archives, graphics, music, and ephemera."
- Your Old Books [Pamphlet answering Frequently Asked Questions about rare books and book values]
- Book Collecting Resources on the Web, Mostly
- Buying books; Conservation; Some famous collections & libraries based
on famous collections; Books & Magazines on Books, Collectors & Collecting; Researching "Your" Author; Finding other bibliophiles, collectors & rare books people; Other Links & Tools.
- Books & Book Collecting
- "...dedicated to providing a convenient interface to the many resources available on
the Internet focusing on books for collectors. Here you'll find tools, information, and access to information -- tools, such as
search forms to locate books, a service for linking sets with missing volumes, or a cm to inch converter -- information, such as
a pseudonym database, explanations of book size nomenclature, or a mini-history of the Britannica -- and access to
information, in the form of links to newgroups, maillists, out-of-print magazine dealers, guide to book collector's references,
etc. This site is intended to serve as a kind of home-base for the bibliophile."
RETICULUM Neuroscience History Resources: Antiquarian Dealers & Book Searching Utilities
Questions - Comments - Suggestions - Submissions: <email@example.com> or (310) 206-2753 (fax)
Last modified: 25 September 1999